ARE MY DAMAGES ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT FROM THE SBU PROGRAM?
Not all sewer backups are eligible for reimbursement.
MSD offers reimbursement for eligible damages from sewer backups caused by the MSD public sewer.
- ATTENTION: You must report your backup to MSD within 48 hours of discovery to be potentially eligible for reimbursement of damages. If you haven't reported your sewer backup to MSD, report it now: Report a Sewer Backup
- MSD's SBU Program covers eligible damages arising from sewer backups caused by inadequate capacity or negligent maintenance or operation of the MSD public sewer system.
- MSD's SBU Program does not cover damages arising from overland/street flooding or sewer backups caused by private building sewers.
- Please note: Receiving cleaning/mitigation services from MSD does not guarantee claim reimbursement.
WHAT DO I NEED TO FILE A CLAIM?
- A completed and signed MSD SBU Claim Form - Please read all the information, fully complete and sign the claim form, and include all requested supporting documentation.
- Documentation of private insurance - Ohio law requires MSD to deduct any benefits a property owner or renter is entitled to receive through private insurance from a sewer backup claim. You must include information on your MSD SBU claim form regarding homeowner or renter’s insurance. Your claim cannot be processed without this information.
- A detailed inventory of damages - Only documented damages are potentially eligible for reimbursement. Please include a full inventory of items/materials damaged by the incident including as much detail as possible. Please include photos, estimates, invoices, and receipts when available
HOW LONG DO I HAVE A FILE A CLAIM?
Your claim must be received by MSD within 2 years of the date of your sewer backup.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS A CLAIM?
In most cases, you will receive a written decision within 60 days of MSD's receipt of your complete claim.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A CLAIM?
Please use one of the following methods to file your claim. Be sure to include the completed, signed claim form and all supporting documentation requested.
- Online Portal: Submit your claim through an ONLINE PORTAL For quicker processing, please upload supporting documentation as PDF attachments.
- Email: Submit your claim by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Download the claim form (writeable PDF) For quicker processing, please send the claim form and and supporting documentation as PDF attachments.
- Mail or Hand Deliver: Mail or hand deliver a hard copy of your completed claim form and supporting documentation to the address below. Please call (513) 244-5100 if you need a hard copy of the claim form mailed to you. Please drop off hard copies between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except for holidays).
MSD's Wastewater Collection Facility, c/o SBU Claims
225 West Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45215
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT?
The SBU Program provides reimbursement for the following types of expenses, if eligibility criteria are met:
- Loss of personal property (e.g., furniture, miscellaneous storage items, appliances). MSD reimburses the current (depreciated) value of damaged personal property.
- Structural damage to the interior of the property (e.g., flooring, dry wall, furnace, hot water heater, electrical). MSD reimburses the reasonable replacement value for structural damage, including critical mechanicals, or the equivalent diminution in value.
- Reasonable expenses incurred to hire your own professional cleanup contractor, provided you were eligible for cleaning/mitigation services from MSD's contractor but did not receive them.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT?
The SBU Program does not provide reimbursement for the following types of expenses:
- Damage to property or items outside of the impacted building.
- Loss of wages, rent, or income.
- Services performed by a plumber on a private building sewer or internal plumbing.
HOW DO I CHECK ON THE STATUS OF MY CLAIM?
- If you have questions about your claim or would like to check the status, please contact MSD's SBU Claims Department at (513) 244-5100 or via email at email@example.com
- The Ombudsman for MSD's SBU Program is the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati. They can be reached at (513) 362-2801.